Monday, April 21, 2008

Some things are just not for everyone.

Sunday was the last day that I will be spending in Columbia for several weeks. Later this morning, I will pack up my stuff again and reverse the 10 hour drive that I made just 3 days ago.

Friday was the first time that I made the leap to using twitter on my mobile, partly out of boredom and partly to see how it worked. Other than a few erratic swerves as I learned to use the keypad, it was an amazingly entertaining experience. After several hours of typing with people, I started to wonder what else I could do to pass the time.

I started by taking pictures at my rest stops and e-mailing them to a couple of people which ultimately proved to be clumsy and unsatisfying. I then proceeded to send voice notes to a friend thinking that he would return the favor but a voice note never arrived (thanks a lot C the C).

Of course, knowing that I will be in the car all day Monday sent me scrambling to "the google" to find some other way of sharing the extreme joy of driving through the southeast beyond plain text tweets. I had no luck with "twitpics.com" since they do not work with t-mobile, and using the "t-mobile web albums" is an exercise in tedium.

It was not until late on Sunday that I stumbled across Blogger Mobile (quick, go there and play the jingle ... it's infectious). So now I can snap a photo or take a video, and send it to it's very own blog page - how fucking cool is that? It doesn't seem to be able to handle voice notes which is odd since GMail has no problems with them - but the video includes sound, so I'm sure I can figure out something to do with it.

I spent Sunday night playing around at Harper's restaurant, taking photos and videos and posting them on the blog to see how it would work. It wasn't until much later Sunday night when I looked at Robert's face as I gleefully showed him the video of my beer glass that it dawned on me - I really am a geek.

No comments: