Wednesday, April 23, 2008

In hushed whispers.

Seriously?

Let me share with you an instant message that I got earlier this evening from an acquaintance:
"hi heard you were talking trash on ricky and herbe what is that all about"
I realize, having been a podcaster myself in a previous life that there is an enormous amount of ego wrapped up in doing a show. I also realize that it is too ridiculously easy to start bullshit rumors on the internets - and some people seem to thrive on it.

So let me "butch up" and tell you what this is all about.

I was a guest on ArcherRadio tonight, and I continued talking to Archer after we were done recording. It was during that non-recorded conversation that I stated - in no uncertain terms - my dislike of Herbe from Foul Monkeys - I find him to be ignorant, self-centered, and hypocritical.

I hinted at the fact that I can't stand Taffy from Pod is my Co-Pilot but never actually came out and said it (for the record: I think she is a loud-mouthed, simple-minded annoyance of a laugh track).

There were several people still in the ustream chat room listening when I made these comments. Which is why it is getting whispered about tonight.

What doesn't seem to get picked up in the re-telling of what was said is that we were talking about podcasting personae - not "real" people. Before you start in with the "these are real people" argument - the act of recording what you say and putting it in an RSS feed for public consumption necessarily qualifies it as a performance.

I don't think of Herbe or Taffy any differently than I do Matlock, Will Truman or any other fictional character on television that annoys the fuck out of me. It doesn't mean that I dislike the actors who portray these characters - I don't actually know them personally - I am just reacting to their performances.

There are a lot of different styles of entertainment in the world and there is no such thing as a "one size fits all" performance - good or bad.

1 comment:

Michael in Stuttgart said...

Hi Daniel,

I like your blog and new podcast. Anyhow I just wanted to say that I cannot understand your comments about Taffy. I do accept of course that you have your own opinion and I guess I see your point when you say that your are only talking about her podcasting appearance and not about herself. Nevertheless I think you cannot separate this so easily. Taffy and her pals talk about very personal things and stuff that is going on in their real lives. It is nothing written of fictional, it maybe without their real names, but it is about themselves.
I just wanted to point out that my perception of Taffy is quite different. I don't think that she is shallow or stupid. She is funny, intelligent and has a great heart. She is gay friendly and has very liberal and open-minded attitudes and the way she raises her children should set an example for everybody. I am listening quite regularily to her shows and I don't know how much you actually heard from her. From the very beginning of PodisMyCP til now she has made an intersting development. Her stories are not only hilarious and entertaining but very often they make you think and reconsider your own attitudes.
Maybe you should listen once again to her shows to see my point. Of course if you still hate her, that's your opinion and I accept it. I just did not want to let this assessment stand alone and uncommented here on your blog.
Have a nice day and keep up your interesting work here.